Read this article in the Mirror explaining the similarities between Love Island and our research on fly sex
Check out Sally Le Page’s new (and first) paper, on male relatedness and familiarity, and sexual conflict in fruit flies (open access)!
View all news »
Stuart Wigby is a BBSRC David Phillips Research Fellow at the Department of Zoology, University of Oxford. The Wigby lab studies the evolutionary biology of sex and death, mainly using the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster, as a model organism.
We are interested in sexual selection, sexual conflict, speciation, sperm competition, kin selection, immunity, life history and ageing.
- Le Page, S., Sepil, I., Flintham, E., Pizzari, T., Carazo, P., Wigby, S. 2017. Male relatedness and familiarity are required to modulate male-induced harm to females in Drosophila. Proc. Roy. Soc. London B. 284, 1860, 20170441. Open access
- Hopkins BR, Sepil I, Wigby S. 2017 Seminal Fluid. Curr. Biol. 27, 404–405. pdf
- Bath, E., Bowden, S., Peters, C., Reddy, A., Tobias, J.A., Easton-Calabria, E., Seddon, N., Goodwin, S.F., Wigby, S. 2017 Sperm and sex peptide stimulate aggression in female Drosophila. Nature Ecology & Evolution. 1, 154. Open Access News & Views
- Sepil, I., Carazo, P., Perry, J. C., & Wigby, S. 2016. Insulin signalling mediates the response to male-induced harm in female Drosophila melanogaster. Scientific Reports, 6, 30205 Open access
- Perry, J.C., Joag, R., Hosken, D.J., Wedell, N., Radwan, J. & Wigby, S., 2016. Experimental evolution under hyper-promiscuity in Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 16 (1), p.1. Open access
- Morimoto, J. & Wigby, S., 2016. Differential effects of male nutrient balance on pre-and post-copulatory traits, and consequences for female reproduction in Drosophila melanogaster. Scientific reports, 6, p.27673. Open access
- Carazo, P., Green, J., Sepil, I., Pizzari, T. & Wigby, S., 2016. Inbreeding removes sex differences in lifespan in a population of Drosophila melanogaster. Biology Letters, 12 (6), 20160337. Open access
- Morimoto, J., Pizzari, T. & Wigby, S. 2016 Developmental environment effects on sexual selection in male and female Drosophila melanogaster. PLOS One,11, e0154468. Open Access
- Wigby, S., Perry, J.C., Kim, Y.-H. & Sirot, L.K. 2016 Developmental environment mediates male seminal protein investment in Drosophila melanogaster. Functional Ecology, 30, 410-419. Open Access
View all publications »