The Wigby lab likes science communication. We are involved in various ways to bring our work to the wider public, including via the print media and micro-blogging, but also through artistic media such as music, dance, video and contemporary art. Here’s a selection of our work, and be sure to check us out on twitter, and storify
Ellie Bath at Bright Club Oxford 2015
Ellie Bath describes the causes of maternal rage
Breaking Bio Episode 62, ft. Stuart Wigby
An interview with Stuart Wigby about fruit fly sex, aging & reproduction, and how to dance your way through your PhD
Sally Le Page on How To Be Sexy (using supernormal stimuli)
Sally Le Page’s guide to sexiness in the animal kingdom. See her other Shed Science videos on her YouTube Channel here: www.youtube.com/shedscience
Stuart Wigby – A Month Is The Life
Stuart Wigby’s contribution to Aukje Koks’ installation at the online contemporary art project “Our of Focus”
In the media
Le Page et al. 2017 Proceedings B.
Bath et al. 2017 Nature Ecol. Evol.
- Daily Mail: Female fruit flies become violent after sex
- The Sun: Female fruit flies are driven mad by their lover’s sperm and ‘HEADBUTT’…
Carazo et al. 2016 Biol Lett.
- Science Daily: XX protection against age-related mutations
- Wildlife SNPits: Inbreeding Shortens Female Life-Span
Carazo et al. 2014 Nature
- New York Times: Fruit fly brothers tend to cooperate
- Planet Earth (NERC): Flies with brothers make gentler lovers
- Medical Daily: Male flies don’t compete with brothers for female attention…
Tan et al. 2013 Proceedings B.
- New York Times: Female fruit flies like one mate, or his brother
- Royal Society News: The ‘in-law effect’ – male fruit flies sleep around but females keep it in the family
- The Mermaids Tale (blog): The sexy scent of a mate…..in flies!
Moore et al. 2013. BMC Evol. Biol.
- Independent: Help yourself by helping others: Nice guys and girls are sexier, study shows
- Daily Mail: Nice guys (and girls) don’t always finish last: Acts of charity could help spice up your sex life
- Men’s Health: The weekend activity that attracts women
Gioti et al. 2012. Proc Roy Soc B.
- Daily Mail: The effect sex has on women: Single sperm molecule ‘affects female fertility, behaviour, eating and sleeping’
- Evening Standard: Scientists discover single sperm can have big impact on a woman (they don’t say!)
- Belfast Telegraph: Sex plays havoc with women’s genes
- Medical News Today: Sex Can Cause Genetic Changes In Women
- Science Daily: Responses of Genes in Females to Sex Revealed in Fruit Fly Study
- Royal Society: Semen takes control of females’ genes
Sirot, Wolfner & Wigby, 2011. PNAS
- Empirical Zeal, 2011: Flies alter their ejaculate to get the best bang for the buck
Wigby et al. 2011, Proc Roy Soc B.
- Wellcome Trust: Female fruitfly fecundity
Wigby et al. 2009. Curr. Biol.
- Daily Telegraph: Flies engage in ‘chemical warfare’ to control mate’s sex drive
- Futurity: Pumping up (the proteins) to get the girl